What is the difference between a wayleave and an easement?

If your home’s value has been affected due to electrical equipment on or around your property, then you may be entitled to claim compensation from the Distribution Network Operator (DNO), who owns the equipment

Generally speaking, the compensation will come in the form of either annual payments through a wayleave or a one-off payment through an easement. In this blog post, we outline the differences between a wayleave and an easement.

A wayleave

A wayleave is a terminable agreement with the homeowner/landowner of the property which grants permission for the DNO to keep their equipment in situ in return for some form of compensation.

Typically, wayleaves last between 14 and 20 years and will need renewing once that period expires or when the land or property changes ownership.

An easement

An easement is a legally binding agreement that grants permanent rights to the DNO to keep their equipment in situ. This usually means that the agreement will still apply even if the land or property changes ownership. In return for this permanent commitment, the homeowner/landowner would typically receive a much higher compensation amount in the form of a one-off, lump-sum payment.

How do I know if I am eligible to claim?

You may be eligible to claim compensation for electrical equipment on or around your property boundary if:

  • Any part of an electricity line, wooden pole or stay crosses the registered boundary of your property.
  • No permanent rights have previously been granted for the electrical equipment.
  • You are the registered property/landowner.
  • The equipment continues to serve other residential properties and is not for your own supply.

Our process is simple

With Thomson Broadbent, the claims process is easy and hassle-free. When you instruct us to act of your behalf, we carry out all of the required technical processes and submit all of the necessary paperwork on your behalf – so you don’t have to. You can read more about our process here.

Why choose Thomson Broadbent?

  • We are RICS regulated, meaning we work to the highest international standards in the valuation, management and development of land, real estate, construction, and infrastructure.
  • We have 24 years’ experience in property compensation claims.
  • We have negotiated over 90,000 compensation claims on behalf of UK homeowners.
  • We take care of the entire process on your behalf, including submitting all the necessary paperwork and chasing the network provider.
  • There is no upfront cost to you whatsoever to initiate the claim process.

Would you like to know more?

To discover more about us, or to view our full range of services, click here.

Want to speak to a member of our team?

For more information, please feel free to contact a member of our dedicated team by emailing enquiries@thomsonbroadbent.co.uk or calling 01536 264101.

By | 2020-12-14T14:42:02+00:00 November 5th, 2020|