Low Voltage 2021-03-29T10:20:04+01:00

Low Voltage

It is possible to seek compensation for any low voltage equipment which is situated on or over the property, including underground cables that continue to feed other properties. You may qualify for a termed wayleave agreement, which grants the electricity company rights to house this equipment on your land for a certain number of years.

It is a homeowner’s right to claim power line compensation for their property if it is affected by electricity equipment. Under current legislation (the Electricity Act 1989), you are entitled to claim – even if the lines and equipment were there when you bought the property.

Our knowledgeable team will endeavour to provide you with a first class standard of customer service. We have agreed thousands of cases, the majority of which our clients did not have a previous written wayleave agreement.

Thomson Broadbent work on a no-win, no-fee basis, meaning that if the claim cannot proceed for whatever reason, there is no charge to the homeowner whatsoever.

Are You Eligible?

You may be eligible to claim if:

  • Any part of an electricity line, wooden pole or stay crosses the registered boundary of your property.
  • No permanent rights have previously been granted for the electrical equipment. Don’t worry, we will check this for you (free of charge)
  • You are the registered property/land owner – not a tenant of the property
  • The equipment continues to serve other residential properties and is not for your own supply.

How the process works

Step 1

We receive your completed and signed Authority to Act form.

Step 2

We begin all the necessary technical processes that are inclusive of our fee: equipment validation, land registry checks, even carrying out property inspections if needed.

Step 3

We submit and compile your claim with all the supporting evidence we have gathered for you. We also chase the network provider for an offer.

Step 4

Finally, the offer (subject to your approval) is accepted and you receive your payment.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are the registered legal owner of the property where electricity equipment is situated and no permanent rights have previously been granted you will be eligilbe to claim for wires, poles and stays.

If you are unsure, please call us on 01536 273697 and we can advise whether your property qualifies.

Yes, and as wayleave agreements usually expire upon sale of the property it is likely that no written agreement exists if you haven’t arranged one yourself.

If you sell your property before your claim is completed, the right to negotiate a new agreement will end and the new owner will be able to claim if they wish.

If you sell the property within the agreed termed period of the agreement, the agreement will automatically terminate and will not be tied to the property itself.

It is unusual for a low voltage equipment to be held on a deed of easement however we will carry out the necessary research to see if a previous owner has already granted the rights. If they have, we will inform you (providing a copy of the Deed where possible) and close our file at no cost to you.

If you sell the property within the agreed termed period of the agreement, the agreement will automatically terminate and will not be tied to the property itself.

The amount paid by the electricity company to retain their equipment is subject to validation and in most cases they will pay in the region of £100 – £1000 depending on the nature of the equipment.

We only charge a success fee of 20% plus VAT which is payable following the payment made to yourself by the electricity company in respect of a new agreement. Please note we operate on a no win, no fee basis, which means that there are no costs to pay unless we are successful in sourcing you a new agreement.

Most of our claims take between 6 months and 2 years to complete, however this timescale can be affected by factors outside of our control such as budgetary constraints within the electricity providers.

Thomson Broadbent Wayleaves are experienced and extremely knowledgable in sourcing wayleave agreements for homeowners and are experienced in handling all enquiries to ensure the process is as smooth and stress-free as it should be.

You cannot instruct more than one agent to act on your behalf to source a wayleave agreement.

Please note that should you appoint more than one agent it can significantly delay the processing of your case. If you cannot recall whether you have already appointed another agent please call for further advice.

If you have received one of our mailings you should also have received our ‘Authority to Act’ form, if you wish to instruct us to act on your behalf for the wayleave claim, complete the form and return it using the freepost envelope.