High Voltage 2021-03-29T10:18:30+01:00

High Voltage

It is possible to seek compensation for the impact of overhead electricity cables and pylons on the value of your property. In the case of pylons this could include if the lines physically cross your land even if only in high winds!

Under current legislation (the Electricity Act 1989) you are entitled to claim even if the wooden poles, lines or pylons were there when you bought the house.

We will survey your property, assess whether the Distribution Network Operator has been granted these rights by a previous owner and if not, submit your claim to the company concerned on your behalf.

A claim will normally consider the property value, equipment type, length of overhead line and distance from the main residential property.

We work on a no-win, no-fee basis so if you are not eligible for whatever reason there is no charge to you whatsoever. If the claim is successful, we charge a small commission agreed in advance.

Are You Eligible?

You may be eligible to claim if:

  • Any part of an electricity line, wooden pole or stay crosses the registered boundary of your property.
  • No permanent rights have previously been granted for the electrical equipment. Don’t worry, we will check this for you (free of charge)
  • You are the registered property/land owner – not a tenant of the property
  • The equipment continues to serve other residential properties and is not for your own supply.

How the process works

Step 1

We receive your completed and signed Authority to Act form.

Step 2

We begin all the necessary technical processes that are inclusive of our fee: equipment validation, land registry checks, even carrying out property inspections if needed.

Step 3

We submit your claim with all the supporting evidence we have gathered for you. We also chase the network provider for an offer.

Step 4

Once an initial offer has been made, we enter negotiations on your behalf to make sure the offer is fair and reasonable.

Step 5

Finally, the offer (subject to your approval) is accepted and you receive your payment.

Frequently Asked Questions

Most claims take between 24 and 48 months to complete. However, this timescale can be affected by factors outside our control, such as budgetary constraints of the distribution network operators. We appreciate that it’s a long period of time, which is why we start the process as soon as we receive your form, and we chase the network providers every step of the way to make the process as quick as possible. After all, we don’t receive a fee until you do.

We can negotiate one of the following on your behalf (depending on the network):

  • Easement: An ‘easement’ is a one off, lump sum payment for the network provider to have permanent rights to the equipment written into the deeds of the property.


  • Wayleave: A ‘wayleave’ is a termed agreement, much lower than an ‘easement’ in value but doesn’t grant permanent rights to the network provider. Therefore, the agreement would be terminated upon sale of the property, and the new homeowner can then apply.

The receivable amounts in both cases depend on a variety of factors, for example, the type of equipment or the distance to the property. Each case is individually assessed and negotiated by one of our experienced surveyors as part of our commission. The amount paid by the network provider in most of our cases is between £1,000 and £25,000.

Thomson Broadbent works exclusively for homeowners and is entirely independent from the network providers. With over 23 years’ experience, we are a leading RICS regulated utility and infrastructure consultancy having represented over 90,000 homeowners. Our experience allows us to easily handle the negotiation process with the network provider’s surveyors, taking into account legal and valuation precedents in order to achieve the best possible outcome. We provide the following services inclusive of our fee:

·         Land Registry Checks

·         Property Inspections (if necessary)

·         Valuations and Submissions of a Claim

·         Chasing the network providers on your behalf for regular updates

·         Face to face negotiations of offers

·         Instruction of solicitors and reporting acceptances

·         Reviewing deeds to check for miscellaneous terms

·         Chasing your payment

We will carry out the necessary research to see if the permanent rights have already been granted by a previous owner. If they have, we will inform you (providing a copy of the Deed where possible) and close our file at no cost to you.

If you sell your property before your claim is completed, the right to negotiate a new agreement will pass to the new owner and no charges will be incurred for the work carried out.

You can complete the form by clicking here or alternatively if we have sent you a form please complete and return it so we can start the process on your behalf